Google E-A-T (Experience, Expertise, Authoritativeness, and Trustworthiness) are the criteria that determine the relevance of a page in its field. Therefore, they are the elements to consider when aiming for top results in Google searches. Every page must demonstrate these characteristics to establish its SEO presence.
Right now, you need more than just original and engaging content to appear on Google’s search pages. Every article and brand product should represent quality content, expertise in the field, responsible research, and reliable sources. We will explain each element of Google E-A-T and how to implement it in the content you create.
Deciphering E-A-T and E-E-A-T: The Foundation of SEO Success
Google E-E-A-T is the updated version of the criteria. The initial content evaluation model appeared in 2018 as E-A-T (Expertise, Authoritativeness, and Trustworthiness). Since its inception, Google’s goal has been to characterize useful and reliable content using measurable and repeatable criteria.
Content should focus not only on being novel and containing relevant keywords but also on representing trustworthy information. With Google E-E-A-T, the search engine prioritizes content relevant for its accuracy and its ability to address user queries. In other words, Google is looking for greater objectivity through this method.
Now, who considers or evaluates these criteria? Is it done by artificial intelligence? This evaluation model serves as a working guide for search quality evaluators. These are real people tasked with assessing the relevance of search results and evaluating them.
Understanding E-E-A-T: Evolution with Experience
In the latest model update (December 2022), an “E” (Experience) was added, focusing on the practical ability of a product or service to satisfy the audience. In this case, attention is given to user experiences and their satisfaction levels. Evaluators check user reviews and ratings.
From this perspective, evaluators also review user-generated content. For example, reviews and ratings on platforms or blogs with photos and videos featuring or reviewing a product. A higher volume and detail in product-related user-generated content represent a greater experience.
A brand with more experience is one that has been in the market for several years and has better user ratings. This criterion transforms search engine rankings because brands will only appear if the audience has had experience with their product or service.
The Core Components of E-A-T and E-E-A-T: Revealing Their Essence
From this perspective, it is necessary to describe each of these characteristics and establish criteria for generating valuable content.
- Experience. Relevance is determined by the number of real-world cases the brand has resolved. It also considers years of experience, credibility, and the effectiveness of the product or service for users.
- Expertise. Content on a page should have references from experts and up-to-date information that demonstrates skills and knowledge in the field. When it comes to this category, evaluators review the credentials of the creators, the references they use, and their ability to communicate effectively.
- Authoritativeness. In this case, the focus is on the content creators and their standing in their field of work. A site’s authority is high if it contributes to the field and represents relevant advancements and discussions.
- Trustworthiness. A trustworthy brand is one that is honest with its audience and provides efficient customer service channels. In this regard, content should display transparency and reflect an optimal relationship with customers.
Each evaluation criterion sets a clear path for generating content. From these elements, Google determines the quality of websites and pages in each field. Based on the results of the sites, they may have better or worse positions in search engine results.
Why E-A-T and E-E-A-T are Important in the SEO Landscape
These evaluation criteria determine the quality of websites and their content. Google’s focus is to provide useful and valuable results for users. Therefore, pages with low ratings will have less relevance in search results.
From this perspective, content creators must adapt to provide content in line with the described criteria. Otherwise, they will lose visibility, making room for sites with better results and ratings.
With this policy, Google aims to improve the quality of content in the most relevant results. The top results will be sites with experience, expertise, authority, and trustworthiness, inspiring confidence. If you want to appear in these results, you must .
Creating E-A-T and E-E-A-T: Tips for Improving SEO
To achieve a better position in Google’s results, we recommend the following strategies:
- Establish partnerships with content creators, especially with bloggers, audiovisual creators, and writers who are authorities in your field. Your site will have better results by collaborating with field authorities, especially if the creators’ credentials are included in the publications.
- Use reliable sources and up-to-date information. Sites will receive better ratings if they cite trustworthy, current, and verifiable sources. This is a priority if your site deals with YMYL-type content (Your Money Your LifeStrive to earn positive reviews and ratings. Your interaction with your target audience should be assertive. Offer truthful, quality content that leads to positive comments and good ratings. Also, enhance your product or service to encourage users to create content.
- Strengthen your relationship with the audience. Open communication channels between your organization and the public. You can achieve this by establishing communication on social media or investing in customer service.
Strategic and organized thinking will be your primary tool when planning future publications. From now on, focus on gathering evidence and experiences to demonstrate your brand’s authority and capability. Additionally, create relevant content that aligns with user needs.
Building Trust with E-A-T and E-E-A-T: The User-Centered Approach
Since Google implemented this quality evaluation strategy for websites, some pages have ceased to appear in the results. This especially happens if the information they present is unreliable and lacks support or evidence. With this measure, Google is restoring trust among its audience.
Search quality evaluators are real people following clear criteria. As a result, sites created by artificial intelligence and without any real-world experience won’t appear in search engine results. This measure safeguards users and ensures useful and verifiable results.
For a brand to appear and enhance its traffic, it must focus on inspiring trust among its users and establishing an authoritative position in the field. Consequently, content must be valuable and grounded in thorough research.
Focus on Producing Relevant Content
Due to user dissatisfaction, Google has implemented a new quality evaluation method for websites. Google E-E-A-T is a methodology applied by real people to rate internet pages, their content, and creators, based on search standards.
Having a large amount of content related to keywords is no longer the only important factor. This methodology rewards sites that demonstrate experience, expertise, authority, and trustworthiness. These attributes are characteristic of sites with a good reputation among their users.
The trust a site inspires in its audience depends on information transparency and the reliability of its sources. The experience of users with the brand, both on the website and with the product or service and customer service, is also crucial.
For this reason, it is vital for brands to design strategies that align with these requirements. If you’re looking for an agency to create immersive experiences that enhance your brand’s E-E-A-T, don’t hesitate to contact New Discovery. We are a digital agency with the experience and skills you need.